Established in 1606 and designated as the Armenian quarter of Isfahan in central Iran, New Julfa was named after Julfa (also called Jugha) in Nakhichavan after Shah Abbas settled over 150,000 Armenians from the original city to what was then the Persian Empire.
Called the hub of "one of the greatest trade networks of the early modern era" Armenian merchants controlled the silk trade from New Julfa, exporting silk to Europe, China, and America. This forever changed the global market as the cross-cultural link between the East and West.
Though the population has significantly dwindled, New Julfa remains and is remembered as one of the most significant Armenian quarters in the world, with the 17th century Holy Savior Cathedral church still in use today.
The Spear of Destiny (or holy lance) is legendarily known as the lance that pierced the side of Jesus as he hung on the cross. Design is based on the holy lance relic on display at the Etchmiadzin cathedral in Armenia.